Millions of people play video games day after day. According to Statista’s research, young adults (29% of them are 18 to 35 years old) make up a huge share of people who play computer games in the USA.
It goes to show that the vast majority of them are students who ought to spend the best part of their time hitting the books instead of constant gaming. However, it’s early days yet whether video games are addictive and harmful. So read this full article about the pros and cons of playing video games and control your gaming mode.
The Addictive Side of Video Game Playing
There are rumors that excessive playing computer games can invite aggression and can be very harmful. The American Medical Association has defined the addictive gaming as playing for 2 hours and more per day. Approximately heavy gamers spend nearly a quarter of their free time playing.
Scientists claimed that this addiction has almost the same features as other addictions. Computer game overuse disrupts gamers’ family, their college life, communication with friends and other people. The theory prevails that the younger a child starts playing, the deeper his dependence can be.
There are several harmful effects of video game addiction:
- Problems with physical health like repetitive strain injury, musculoskeletal issues, eye strain, sleep deprivation.
- Psychological issues like depression, constant stressful condition, social anxiety, aggressive thinking, and behaviors.
- Problems within the family if parents try to prevent from spending so much time on games. The teen usually considers that parents interfere in his life.
- Financial problems can appear as well because most video games are very costly. Additionally, thousands of dollars can be spent on hardware and software upgrades, new gaming devices, consoles, subscriptions to digital services.
- Educational issues arise when students miss lectures, promise to study later, ignore deadlines. The quality of their assignments becomes worse with each passing day.
It’s obvious that excessive game playing can be really harmful, but what about its advantages for youth?
The Educational Benefits of Computer Games
People often suppose that game playing is an unproductive way of spending free time. Sometimes, it’s just a fun but depending on the very core of subject this entertainment can serve an excellent platform for development and education.
Australian scientists noticed that students-gamers tend to do better in maths, reading, and science. Unfortunately, it’s only a suggestion because its methodology can’t prove that particularly games caused such an achievement. Let’s view all sides of this phenomena.
- It has been proved by more than a hundred studies that video games can affect the brain, change its structure and influence humans’ behavior. Thanks to playing, gamers have more selective attention They need less time to focus on a task.
- Video game players have a better ability to identify relationships among visual and spatial objects than non-players.
- There are tons of brain-training games which can significantly enhance people’s memory and improve various cognitive abilities.
- Try to turn your child attention to less aggressive games. There are a number of quality and useful puzzle games that are intended to develop your child skills to meet challenges, seek the best solution to the problem, etc. They make gamers accept a decision with a focus on speed and accuracy.
- If the content of the games is positive, then positive and favorable results can be expected.
- In the digital era, it’s impossible to pay no regard for video game playing. It’s better to involve this activity in the educational process and make it work for positive results. There are many types of game content: adventurous activities, puzzles, simulations, etc. Some of them require mental skills and strategy, while others involve physical skills.
- Electronic games may provide an engaging and effective way of learning. Since they are able to maintain the student’s attention for a long period of time, games really may stimulate learning. They allow gamers to experience novelty and penetrate to the unknown world of interesting facts.
- Gamers will never suffer from technophobia and may turn into successful IT users. As usual, such advanced players transform into IT-skilled webmasters, developers, web designers, and many more.
- Computer games can serve as a facilitatory educational aid. There are numerous games aimed to develop social, mathematics, and language skills in kids with different development problems (for example, autism).
- Multiple games have been developed to improve students’ health care.
- Some computer games are built only for team playing allowing your child to socialize easier and faster.
- Video games influence on the brain is a novelty for researchers that thoroughly work on this issue to explore its pros and cons. However, don’t pray or demonize the effect of video games on teens’ brains, behavior, and achievements. You won’t have difficulty with its influence on your child if to make effort to control this activity from the very beginning. At any rate, it’s likely that digital playing has both positive and negative sides. This activity needs to be under constant control especially where the children or teens are concerned.
It’s vital to go on developing the positive potential of electronic games because their effect on education is unlimited. So we hope, this guide about pros and cons of playing video games may give you a proper idea of merits & demerits of playing computer games.
If you like the article please consider rating it-